Skip to content
- Choose a short name and use it consistently.
- Bring the animal home in a quiet time (not holidays or when guests are present) and be sure you have plenty of time to spend with your new friend.
- Supervise all introductions to children. Make sure they understand the animal’s behaviors and their responsibilities.
- Keep resident animals and the newcomer apart for a few days. Then let them smell each other through crates or pet/baby gates before they interact. When they are introduced, supervise and monitor.
- Be sure to cover electrical cords, protect outlets, and keep any cleaners or sprays or chemicals safely stored away from the animal.
- Always treat your new animal with patience, gentleness and love. Just like with people, it takes a little adjustment period before life is perfect.